A name that reflects an ever-growing commitment to community-wide service.
On February 6, 1940 nine employees of Owens-Illinois Glass Co. at Clarion, acting as incorporators, signed the organization certificate of the Clarion Onized Federal Credit Union. The certificate was duly notarized and sent to The Farm Credit Administration in Washington, D.C. The approval was granted on February 20, 1940 and charter number 3655 was assigned.
On February 21, 1940 an interested group of members assembled in the Ross Memorial Library to organize the Credit Union. From this small group, a credit union to serve the needs of the Owens Illinois employees was formed. Since 1972 the credit union has continued to add payroll entities extending our membership far beyond Owens-Illinois employees. In 1985, a merger with Gateway Knox FCU in Marienville was approved by the National Credit Union Administration. This merger allowed the credit union to continue operations at the Clarion office. In more recent years the credit union has continued to grow in terms of asset size, membership eligibility, and service offerings. In late summer 2009 the Board of Directors decided that it was also time for the Credit Union’s physical presence to expand. A lot was purchased along Holiday Inn Road in Monroe Township, and construction began on a new main office that is approximately twice the size of the Wood Street location. Construction was completed in June 2010.
From an original nucleus of twenty members; from $100 in assets; from part-time help; from the corner of somebody’s desk or lathe, over the course of seventy years what was once a simple convenience for a singular employee group has matured into a community mainstay. Factors in the accomplishment of the credit union’s growth and success have been the work of many dedicated volunteers, the Board of Directors, the staff, and the credit union’s members.
Clarion Federal Credit Union 2022